Cool Middle School Essay Topics
Essay assignments are a basic element in a school curriculum. Teachers start assigning different types of essays in middle school. Of course, these are simple essays that don't require a deep research or powerful arguments. Expository and personal opinion essays are the most common and the easiest tasks for middle schoolers. Still, they teach young people to express their thoughts correctly and write clearly, preparing them for more complicated assignments in high school and in their future life in general.
If you were given a task to write an essay, you should first understand what type of essay you are required to write. This will give you an idea of how your flow of thought should be organized and what the structure of the paper needs to be. Do you have to compare some notions or people, or do you need to describe a process? Maybe you should simply share your standpoint concerning a statement, or maybe you should also try to persuade the reader that your standpoint is a correct one?
How to Choose a Topic?
Once you understand the type of essay, it's time to decide on a topic. Sometimes teachers give individual topics to each student, and sometimes they don't. You may be offered a list of essay prompts to choose from. Anyway, here are a few tips that will help you come up with a nice and relevant topic for your essay no matter what type it is:
- Focus on what interests you. You probably don't have a huge experience of dealing with writing assignments; therefore, it's better to choose an easy topic you are familiar with and interested in.
- Don't choose a wide topic. You can start with thinking of a general question or idea and then narrow it down to something more local and specific.
- Look through pre-written papers online. You can find essays written by professional writers or other students on educational portals and special websites; they may give you some ideas of the possible topic.
- Keep in mind that you need to show the best about yourself. Before you make up a final decision, consider the fact that your essay is a piece of academic writing, which means it should be relevant and rather formal. Since you need to show your knowledge, writing skills, ability to express yourself, it's a bad idea to write about computer games as your hobby. Choose something you are able to discuss or describe and something that will show your good qualities to your teacher.
If you haven't made up a good topic yet, there's a list of great ideas below. Feel free to use any of them or create your own topic basing on these.
Fun and Interesting Middle School Essay Topics
- If you could add a new holiday to a calendar, what would it be dedicated to and how would a traditional celebration look?
- If you had a superpower to solve one of the current problems in the world, how would you use it?
- How does it feel to be sorry?
- If someone decided to write a novel about you, who this character would be and what qualities would he or she have?
- Describe an ideal summer vacation. Where would you go, what would you do, would you take your family or friends with you?
- What do you think is the best way to spend leisure time and why?
- Is there anything you are proud of about yourself? What is it and why does it make you proud?
- Should parents allow their daughters to wear makeup to school?
- Write an essay that compares and contrasts what your usual day is like now and what it will be like in ten years.
- Who is your favorite movie, cartoon, or book character and what do you admire about him or her?
- Write an essay suggesting a new law in your city or a new rule applied at your school, which you believe would make everything better.
- Why do younger people need to show respect to older citizens by default?
- Have you been in love with anyone? How did it feel? What is love in your view?
- Write an essay describing why there is a problem in a lack of knowledge about our world, which resulted from kids not being interested in watching the news or educational programs.
- Do you have a favorite teacher? What do you like about him or her most?
Each of the ideas above will give you an opportunity to show your creative side and ability to share your opinion. Here, at phdify.com, we have collected a large database of topic ideas for different kinds of essays. You can look through them too and get inspired. Besides, you may want to check out our sample essays or even ask one of our writers to help you with your home assignment personally.